Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
CeramicSpeed’s new system uses bigger pulleys to minimize friction for watt savings.
CeramicSpeed Oversized Pulley Wheel System
Larger pulley wheels reduce the amount of friction in the chain by minimizing sharp curves and the twists that the chain has to make. The use of top-grade pulley bearings further reduces friction (independent lab tests from Friction Facts in Boulder, Colo., show about 3 watts of average savings).
- The system is compatible with all (mechanical and Di2) Shimano Ultegra and Dura-Ace 10- and 11-speed derailleurs.
- The pulley cage is made out of carbon fiber to maximize stiffness, lower the weight and even to allow for an airfoil shape in the cage.
- The carbon cage and hollow minimalist alloy pulleys mean the system stays light at 56 grams.
- CeramicSpeed offers an optional ultra-thin 2 micron thick coating on the races of its high-grade pulley bearings that is designed to optimize performance and maximize durability for an additional $100.
- Oversized alloy pulleys with 17 teeth are substantially bigger than the standard 11-tooth pulleys found on many derailleurs. The idea is that bigger pulleys force less bend in every link, so there is less tension (and therefore friction) on the chain.