Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Get nostalgic on a warm fall day with one last summer salad recipe. Fresh herbs and juicy chunks of fruit complement grilled shrimp, with a sprinkling of toasted pumpkin seeds adding a touch of texture and the new season.
Makes 4 Servings
20 jumbo shrimp, or prawns (peeled and deveined, tail on)*
1 TBSP olive oil + salt and pepper
8 heaping cups spring mix
2 cups diced mango or papaya
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 small Asian pear, thinly sliced
4 TBSP fresh dill sprigs
4 TBSP fresh chopped mint
4 TBSP toasted pumpkin seeds
Juice of 2 large limes
Juice of 1 orange
2 TBSP olive oil + salt and pepper
*Ask your seafood counter to peel and devein shrimp for you in order to save time.
1. Heat grill to medium-high (or broiler to high). Toss the shrimp with the 1 TBSP olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
2. Grill for 90 seconds to 2 minutes per side, until a crust forms on the outside and the shrimp are just cooked through (same under broiler). Let rest for 5 minutes off the heat.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the lime and orange juice with the 2 TBSP olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Toss the spring mix in a large bowl with the dressing.
4. Divide the spring mix among 4 plates. Top each with ½ cup of mango or papaya, ¼ of the red bell pepper and Asian pear, and 1 TBSP of the dill, mint, and pumpkin seeds.
5. Arrange 5 shrimp over the top of each salad.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif., and the co-founder of JoJe Bar. A former professional XTERRA triathlete, Cerra now races for Twenty16 Women’s Professional Cycling Team.