Recipe Of The Week: Watermelon-Pomegranate Salad
A fresh and simple way to enjoy this summer melon.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
The season of watermelon is here! That means endless amounts of ways to incorporate this sweet, juicy, and naturally hydrating fruit into your meals. Watermelon-pomegranate salad, rounded out with salty feta, zesty mint and crunchy pistachios, is a fresh and simple way to use this fruit.
Makes 2-4 servings
8 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
2 cups watermelon, finely diced
1 cup Persian or English cucumber, finely diced
1 cup cherry/grape tomatoes, thinly sliced
½ cup pomegranate seeds
¼ cup fresh mint, finely chopped
2 TBSP fresh cilantro, finely chopped
¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
¼ cup shelled, salted pistachios, chopped
Spicy Jalapeno-Lime Dressing (Optional)
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
3 TBSP fresh lime juice
½ TBSP lime zest
1 jalapeno, seeds removed
2 cloves garlic
1 TBSP honey
pinch salt and pepper
RELATED: 4 Melon-Based Recipes
1. Make the dressing first by combining the ingredients in a blender.
2. To assemble the salad, put the romaine in a large serving bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, toss the watermelon, cucumber, tomatoes, pomegranate, mint and cilantro with ¼ cup of the dressing. Alternative dressing may be used in place of the dressing in this recipe.
4. Pour the watermelon mixture over the top of the romaine.
5. Finish by scattering the feta and pistachios over the top. Serve with extra dressing on the side, or store in the fridge.
More recipes from Jessica Cerra
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif., and the co-founder of Harmony Bar. A former professional XTERRA triathlete, Cerra now races for Twenty16 Women’s Professional Cycling Team.