Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This combination of sweet peaches, creamy avocado and crisp greens tossed with warm rice and a lemony dressing will make you smile. Easy to whip up on a summer’s night, serve this dish with whatever protein you have available—try last week’s Grilled Pork Chop recipe.
Makes 4 large servings
¾ cups uncooked brown rice
12 cups, packed, spinach or mixed, dark-leafy greens*
2 large peaches, diced
2 small avocados, diced
1 cup cucumber, finely diced
½ cup celery, finely diced
½ cup pecans, chopped
1/3 cup green onions, finely diced
4 TBSP fresh lemon juice
3 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP honey
¼ tsp, each, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
*Look for “power greens” mixed spinach and baby kale
1. In a small pot, bring the rice and 1 ½ cups water to a boil. Turn heat to low, and let cooked, covered, until the water is absorbed and the rice is fluffy, about 30-40 minutes.
2. Add the greens to a large bowl. Gently toss in the peaches, avocado cucumber, celery, pecans, and green onions.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper.
4. Once the rice has finished cooking, add it directly to the salad bowl.
5. Toss everything with the dressing and serve immediately.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif., and the co-founder of JoJe Bar. A former professional XTERRA triathlete, Cerra now races for Twenty16 Women’s Professional Cycling Team.