Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Avocados are typically known for their appearance in salads, tostadas and guacamole. While they are at their peak this season, try something new: throw them on the grill. The charred crust created on the grill is a fun contrast to the creamy center. Finishing the tacos off with the grilled avocado and homemade grilled salsa makes for the perfect pairing.
20 oz sirloin steak
1 large avocado
2 roma tomatoes
1 yellow pepper
2 Tbsp queso fresco*
1 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
8 corn tortillas
*Queso fresco is a specialty Mexican cheese found in the dairy section of most grocery stores.
1. Turn on the grill to medium-high heat.
2. Massage a sprinkle of salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil into the steak.
3. Cut the tomatoes in half. Cut the avocado into quarters, leaving the skin on. Cut the yellow pepper in half, removing the seeds. In a bowl, toss the veggies with a small amount of olive oil, salt and pepper.
4. Grill the steak approximately five to six minutes per side, for medium rare. Remove and let rest five minutes before cutting into thin strips.
5. Grill the tomatoes and avocado approximately three minutes per side and the pepper five minutes per side. Look for lightly charred grill marks on each.
6. Grill the tortillas 30-60 seconds per side.
7. Finely chop the tomato and yellow pepper. Add to a bowl with the cilantro and queso fresco. On plates, spoon one quarter of this mixture over each quarter of the avocado.
8. Add two tortillas and one quarter of the steak to each plate. Make the tacos by putting steak down first and then scooping the grilled avocado and salsa mixture onto each taco.
9. Also try topping with additional queso fresco, fresh lime and shredded lettuce.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif. She is also a professional Xterra triathlete and mountain biker. Follow Jess’ recipes on her “Fit Food by Jess” Facebook page.