Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Need a balanced meal in a snap? This dish has you covered and can be customized based on what protein and veggies you have in your fridge and what starch you have in your pantry. This recipe gives you the platform using chicken, farro and a colorful variety of carrots, summer squash and peas. However, it can be transformed with any protein (tofu, shrimp, etc.), any veggies (whatever is hiding in your veggie drawer) and any starch (rice, quinoa, cooked potatoes, etc.).
12-16 ounces chicken breast, cut into thin pieces
¼ sweet yellow onion, finely diced
2 large carrots, peeled and diced
1 large summer/yellow squash, diced
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
1 ½ cups cooked farro
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/3 cup marsala wine*
1 tablespoon everyday/favorite seasoning mix
4 cups fresh baby spinach
* Marsala wine (in the wine section of the grocery store) gives a nice, sweet flavor, but any white wine may be used. Try keeping a bottle of marsala wine around for cooking.
1. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes, until golden.
2. Add the carrots to the pan and sauté another 2 minutes.
3. Add the chicken, squash, and seasoning mix to the pan and cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring consistently so the chicken starts to brown on all sides.
4. Pour the wine into the pan and let bubble with the chicken and veggies for about 7-8 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the wine has absorbed. Add the cooked farro during the last 2 minutes of cooking.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and toss in the peas and spinach. This can also be done in a large bowl, if needed.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif. She is also a professional Xterra triathlete and mountain biker. Follow Jess’ recipes on her “Fit Food by Jess” Facebook page.
Get the latest in triathlon training, gear, nutrition and news sent straight to your inbox. Sign up for Triathlete’s newsletter.