Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Papaya, cucumber and avocado are highlighted with fresh basil in this salad recipe perfect for a hot summer day. The creamy, peanut-y shrimp creates the perfect pairing. This low-calorie dish will help you stay on track with maintaining race weight during the height of the season.
16 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons all-natural peanut butter
1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce or tamari
1 teaspoon agave
Juice of one lemon
6-8 cups spring mix or seasonal greens
2 cups fresh papaya, diced (mango may be substituted)
1/2 English cucumber, skin on, diced
1 large avocado, diced
1/4 cup fresh basil finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1) Whisk together the peanut butter, tamari, agave and lemon juice in a bowl.
2) Toss the shrimp in this mixture, until thoroughly coated, and let marinate for 20 minutes (or up to 2 hours in the fridge).
3) In another bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, and salt.
4) Add the papaya, cucumber, avocado and basil to the bowl and toss gently with the vinaigrette.
5) Heat grill to medium-high or heat oven to high broil. Grill shrimp 1-2 minutes per side, until cooked through. Or place shrimp on a baking sheet prepared with non-stick cooking spray, and broil for 1-2 min per side until cooked through.
6) Divide the spring mix onto 4 plates, or on a large platter. Serve the papaya mixture and shrimp over the top of the greens. Makes 4 servings.
Serving suggestion: Use a ring mold to plate the papaya mixture on the greens, with the shrimp standing on the side, to replicate the picture.
Jess Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif. Jess recently launched Harmony Bar, and all natural gluten-and soy free bar designed to tasted like a soft baked cookie. She is an ex-professional XTERRA triathlete and mountain biker, and current elite amateur road cyclist for the SPY GIANT RIDE p/b MRI Endurance team. Follow Jess’ recipes on her “Fit Food by Jess” Facebook page, as well as the “Harmony Bar” Facebook page. Also on Twitter: @fitfoodbyjess and @harmonybars.