Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This salad is loaded with all the goodies! Steamed broccoli, summer tomatoes, crunchy radishes, salty olives, creamy avocado and tangy hearts of palm create a harmonious balance on your plate. All dressed up with a fresh tarragon vinaigrette, you won’t have a problem getting your daily servings of veggies in.
Makes 4-6 servings
1 large head broccoli
1 large avocado
4 hearts of palm, sliced into coins
3 radishes, sliced
1 cup summer tomatoes, halved or diced
2/3 cup large, pitted black olives, halved
6 heaping cups spring mix, spinach, or seasonal greens
¼ cup olive oil
¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons freshly chopped tarragon
2 fresh basil leaves
1 teaspoon agave
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
1. Cut the broccoli into florets and steam until slightly soft. Let cool and set aside.
2. Put the spring mix into a large bowl.
3. Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit and using a small knife, score both sides. Then use a spoon to scoop the chunks of avocado over the lettuce.
4. Add the hearts of palm, radish, tomatoes and broccoli (once cooled).
5. In a blender combine the olive oil, lemon juice, tarragon, basil, agave, salt and pepper for 30 seconds until smooth.
6. Conservatively toss the salad with some of the dressing. There will be dressing remaining to be stored in the fridge.
Want to try some of Jessica Cerra’s cooking in person? She’s the featured chef for our upcoming Triathlete Magazine Training Camp. Sign up here!