Asparagus, Broccolini And Pesto Flatbread Recipe
Get your daily dose of greens on top of this flatbread. So unique and easy to make you will want to show this recipe off all summer long.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Get your daily dose of greens on top of this scrumptious flatbread. So unique and easy to make you will want to show this recipe off all summer long.
1 package fresh whole-wheat (or favorite) pizza dough*
1 bunch asparagus
1 bunch broccolini
½ tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ cup fresh prepared pesto (or see Asparagus-Spinach Pesto recipe)
1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into thin slices
¼ cup coarse cornmeal
*Pre-made pizza dough can be found in the fridge or freezer section of many grocery or specialty stores.
RELATED: Asparagus Frittata Recipe
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. If you have a pizza stone heat it in the oven for 30-45 minutes.
2. Let the dough rest at room temperature for 20 minutes. Line a baking sheet with foil and cornmeal. If using the pizza stone dust it with cornmeal. Spread the dough out thinly, in a large rectangle shape, on the baking sheet or pizza stone. Poke holes in the dough with a fork.
3. Bake the pizza dough for 10 minutes. Remove the dough from the oven and turn over onto the baking sheet or pizza stone.
4. Cut the ends off of the asparagus and broccolini. Cut the asparagus in half length-wise and then dice into large pieces. Dice the broccolini into large pieces.
5. Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté 30 seconds.
6. Add the asparagus and broccolini and sauté for about 2-3 minutes.
7. Spread the pesto and ricotta cheese onto the pizza. Scatter the asparagus and broccolini evenly across the pizza. Top with the mozzarella cheese.
8. Place the pizza back in the oven, at 400 degrees, and bake for about 20-25 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbling and the crust is starting to crisp.
9. Remove the pizza from the oven, slice and enjoy!
RELATED: Warm Eggplant, Broccolini And Chickpea Salad Recipe
More recipes from Jessica Cerra.
Jess Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif. Jess recently launched Harmony Bar, and all natural gluten-and soy free bar designed to tasted like a soft baked cookie. She is an ex-professional XTERRA triathlete and mountain biker, and current elite amateur road cyclist for the SPY GIANT RIDE p/b MRI Endurance team. Follow Jess’ recipes on her “Fit Food by Jess” Facebook page, as well as the “Harmony Bar” Facebook page. Also on twitter @fitfoodbyjess and @harmonybars.