Jacobs, Alexander Comment On Possiblity Of Armstrong Returning To Triathlon
The most recent Ironman world champions have no interest in seeing Lance Armstrong return to triathlon.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Disgraced cycling star Lance Armstrong is reportedly trying to find a way to return to competing in triathlon, and according to Australian newspaper the Daily Telegraph, the most recent Ironman world champions have no interest in his return.
“We are all done with the cheating and lies,” 2012 Ironman world champion Pete Jacobs told the newspaper. “The advantages, because he could train so much harder, are still there. That would be an unfair advantage. If the body is fitter, stronger, it is still effective. It (Armstrong’s body) would have to retain some of that.”
When asked if he would welcome Armstrong back to the sport Jacobs pointed to the fact that nearly every triathlon revolves around an age-group race, and they would likely not be excited to see him competing in their sport. “No, not really, I think it would cause too much of a stir,” Jacobs said. “This is a a sport driven by age groupers. People would not be happy to see him back.”
As for Alexander, he believes the rules need to be tightened so that Armstrong has no chance at returning. “We need to draw a line in the sand and say ‘no’,” he said. “This is a great time to take stock and put new rules in place for zero tolerance.”
Read the complete article at Dailytelegraph.com.au.
– Is Lance Armstrong Trying To Return To Triathlon?
– Armstrong Doping Confession: Key Quotes
– Lance Armstrong Admits To Doping During Cycling Career
– Lance Armstrong: Time To Rebuild
– Lance Armstrong Admits Doping In Oprah Interview
– Armstrong Loses Sponsorship
– Photos: Behind The Scenes With Lance Armstrong At SuperFrog
– Lance Armstrong: “I Am Not Banned From Life”
– Photos: Lance Armstrong’s Return To Triathlon
– Behind The Lance Ban: A Talk With WTC CEO Andrew Messick
– Photos: Lance Armstrong Storms The Big Island