Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
D2’s brand-new TriWire cycling shoes are hand-tailored heaven for your feet.
D2 Shoes owner, Don Lamson, began his custom shoe career in cycling more than 30 years ago. No single person has more experience in the sport. He creates each and every shoe in his 1,800-square-foot workshop north of Los Angeles. The painstaking process takes about four to six weeks and involves only himself and his master stitcher, Hakob Sargsyan, so you can be sure your shoes are truly handmade by the best. Lamson has more than 700 combinations of lasts, sizes and widths to help him accommodate anything your feet can throw at him, including a left foot that’s bigger than the right. We felt the difference in pedal-to-foot connection right away, and we were able to keep the straps super tight without any numbness or discomfort. We also loved the hands-on approach that Lamson takes from initial fit to foot follow-up and adjustments. Custom colors? Obviously. Worth the cash? Consider it an investment in your comfort and efficiency—especially if you have a tough time fitting off-the-shelf shoes.
- Inside is a custom orthotic made of cork-loaded EVA for high-density support and low weight.
- Each pair of TriWire shoes is pre-marked and drilled for optimal cleat position (extra holes too!). In-person laser alignment is also available post-production at no extra charge.
- Performance sailcloth made with carbon fiber sandwiched between mylar layers creates zero stretch, excellent power transfer and awesome detailing.
- The Boa closure system allows a super-tight fit in the custom footbed and a wide opening for quick transitions on and off the bike.
- Uni-directional carbon is laid up in a special configuration for maximum stiffness and minimal weight.