Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
The 2012 Washington DC Triathlon has been cancelled because race organizers were unable to secure the necessary permits to hold the event on National Park Service Property. The event was set to be a part of WTC’s 5150 Triathlon Series.
Carol Johnson, spokeswoman for the National Park Service, told the Washington Business Journal that the triathlon permit was denied because, “It would be a violation of policy, which doesn’t allow foot races in the month of June in preparation for the Fourth of July.”
The triathlon had received exemptions from that policy in past years, Johnson said, “but this year it just wasn’t possible.”
Race organizers posted the following announcement on the race’s official website Dctri.com this morning:
The Washington DC Triathlon LLC regretfully announces the cancellation of the June 17 triathlon to be held in Washington DC. The event, which is held on National Park Service property, was recently denied the required Park Service permit for the 2012 race. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and the loss to the triathlon community. The event will work with those registered by transferring their registration on request to one of six races listed below or provide them a registration refund. Please note that race transfers and refunds are available only until March 28 when registration fees become non-refundable and non-transferrable.
On behalf of the Washington DC Triathlon staff, we apologize for the inconvenience and invite you to select from the following options regarding your race registration:
- Option 1 – Transfer your registration to event listed below at no additional charge. Should you choose Option 1, you will be notified by March 31 with instructions on how to register for your new event.
- Option 2 – Receive a full refund (race registration and USAT one day fee if applicable) by check.
The six race options include:
– Nation’s Triathlon (Sept. 9)
– TriRock New York (May 5)
– TriRock Annapolis (May 12)
– Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon (Sept. 16)
– Rock ‘n’ Roll Providence Half Marathon (Aug. 19)
– Rock ‘n’ Roll Virginia Beach Half (Sept. 2)