Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Australia’s Tim Reed and Canada’s Angela Naeth swam, bike and ran their way to wins at Sunday’s Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs in two close races.
Reed combined a 23:40 swim, a 2:12:22 bike and a 1:21:33 half-marathon to narrowly take the 3:59:58 victory. Rapp came into T2 with a narrow lead over Reed, but couldn’t match the speed on the run and finished second at 4:00:28. American Jesse Thomas, who has a heavy racing schedule and is chasing points toward qualification for this fall’s Ironman 70.3 World Championship, had the fastest half-marathon (1:20:12) on the tough run and finished third at 4:02:54.
Naeth came off of the bike 37 seconds down of Margaret Shapiro and ran her down with a 1:30:40 run split to earn the 4:27:14 win. Shapiro finished second at 4:28:32, with American Lauren Barnett rounding out the top three at 4:29:58.
2014 Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs Lake
Lubbock, Texas – June 29, 2014
1.2-mile swim, 56-mile bike, 13.1-mile run
1. Tim Reed (AUS) 3:59:58
2. Jordan Rapp (USA) 4:00:28
3. Jesse Thomas (USA) 4:02:54
4. Mark Bowstead (NZL) 4:03:19
5. Joe Umphenour (USA) 4:08:02
1. Angela Naeth (CAN) 4:27:14
2. Margaret Shapiro (USA) 4:28:32
3. Lauren Barnett (USA) 4:29:58
4. Jennifer Spieldenner (USA) 4:37:05
5. Corrie Kristick (USA) 4:56:26