Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Belgium’s Pieter Heemeryck and Germany’s Daniela Bleymehl earned the victories at Sunday’s Challenge Geraardsbergen in Belgium.
“It was a surprisingly good race for me, directly from the swim,” Heemeryck said of the victory. “During the bike ride I had a nice gap already, so I knew I had a good day. But I also knew a race is only done at the finish and not before. Anything can happen here.”
For Bleymehl, it was a course-record performance. “Wow, I didn’t notice that,” she said of her finishing time. “It was an amazing day. I’m in the middle of some heavy training blocks, didn’t know what to expect from my shape thanks to this, but it went very well. I really enjoyed the day, the beautiful race and everything else that has to do with this race.”
2019 Challenge Geraardsbergen Results
Geraardsbergen, Belgium – June 16, 2019
1.2-mile swim, 56-mile bike, 13.1-mile run
1. Pieter Heemeryck (BEL) 3:52:49
2. Thomas Steger (AUT) 3:54:37
3. David Bishop (GBR) 3:58:48
4. Tom Mets (BEL) 3:59:31
5. Pamphiel Pareyn (BEL) 3:59:55
1. Daniela Bleymehl (GER) 4:18:30
2. Fenella Langridge (GBR) 4:20:46
3. Sara Van De Vel (BEL) 4:23:45
4. Elisabetta Curridori (ITA) 4:26:43
5. Katrien Verstuyft (BEL) 4:29:38
Enjoy these images from photographer Jose Luis Hourcade.