Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
The United States’ Daniel Bretscher and New Zealand’s Britta Martin earned the victories at today’s Ironman Wisconsin in Madison, Wisc.
Bretscher put together a 52:16 swim, a 4:42:57 bike and a 2:50:14 marathon to narrowly beat out fellow American Brandon Marsh in 8:31:20. Marsh had an impressive day, but ultimately had to settle for second in 8:32:23. Puerto Rico’s Pedro Gomes rounded out the podium at 8:36:56.
New Zealand’s Britta Martin turned in a 59:13 swim, a 5:15:26 bike and a 3:08:40 marathon to earn the win in 9:30:08. Ukraine’s Tamara Kozulina finished second at 9:41:16, with American Ashley Clifford claiming third at 9:45:10.
Next year’s race in Madison will have a different dynamic as it was announced last month that Ironman Wisconsin and eight other Ironmans will not feature prize purses in 2015.
Madison, Wisc. – Sept. 7, 2014
2.4-mile swim, 112-mile bike, 26.2-mile run
1. Daniel Bretscher (USA) 8:31:20
2. Brandon Marsh (USA) 8:32:23
3. Pedro Gomes (PRT) 8:36:56
4. Bachor Konstantin (GER) 8:38:42
5. Matt Hanson (USA) 8:50:16
1. Britta Martin (NZL) 9:30:08
2. Tamara Kozulina (UKR) 9:41:16
3. Ashley Clifford (USA) 9:45:10
4. Ariane Monticeli (BRA) 9:49:40
5. Jackie Arendt (USA) 10:03:58