Triathlete Magazine Seeks Senior Editor For Tech And Gear Section
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Competitor Group is looking for a qualified candidate to fill the position of Senior Editor for the tech and gear section of Triathlete Magazine.
Competitor Group, Inc., headquartered in San Diego, CA, is the leading media and event entertainment company dedicated to the endurance sports industry of running, cycling and triathlons. CGI is comprised of the following brands: Competitor Magazine, Triathlete Magazine, Inside Triathlon, VeloNews, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon Series, Muddy Buddy and VeloPress. CGI owns and operates 26 national events delivering more than 250,000 professional and amateur participants in 2009. CGI publishes four magazine titles with a combined monthly circulation of approximately 2 million and also produces the leading web portal for endurance sports.
Responsible for conceptualizing, writing and assigning articles for the Gear and Tech section of Triathlete magazine. Participates in general content planning for the magazine and offers ideas and story topics on gear- and tech-focused content. Provides on-site reporting for the magazine and travels to events as necessary.
This is a “Hand-on” and “High-energy” position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Possesses exceptional knowledge of gear and technology within the domain of triathlon.
• Manage a thorough gear and bike testing process, interacting with manufacturers including sending and receiving of product, preparing bikes for photo shoots, and reviewing gear and bikes for CGI publications.
• Demonstrates attention to detail
• Writes articles, columns, news, blogs
• Copyedits, line edits content
• Assists in assigning stories to freelancers
• Assists in collecting photos
• Works closely with other editors on editorial planning
• Consults on product and industry trends
• Interacts with sales team and other upper-level management in a professional, helpful manner
• Represents CGI at races, events and industry trade shows as the tech expert for Triathlete Magazine.
• Demonstrates a sense of urgency on time-sensitive projects and issues; meeting deadlines
• Finds or creates crossover content for print publications and websites
• Writes articles for Inside Triathlon as assigned
• Copyedits article for Inside Triathlon as needed
• Consults on story topics and editorial planning for Inside Triathlon as necessary
Consults with: Editor, managing editor, ad sales, publisher, Internet editors
Minimum Qualifications (Education, Experience, Skills)
• Bachelors or advanced degree in journalism or related field or equivalent work experience.
• Minimum five years in an editorial position or equivalent.
• Must have exceptional knowledge of gear and technology within the domain of triathlon.
• Working knowledge of grammar, punctuation, style and spelling.
• Computer skills for editing and writing.
• Knowledge of computer software programs, such as Microsoft Word.
• Knowledge of websites and content interaction between websites and print publications.
Our company offers a relaxed environment, friendly staff, competitive salary and employee benefits package including 401(k) matching.
If interested and qualified, please send resume or C.V., cover letter with salary history and requirements to email@example.com.