Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Jennifer Melville of Park City, UT, and Aja James of Cedar City, UT, won the Olympic and Sprint distances respectively at the Aflac Iron Girl Lake Las Vegas Triathlon on Saturday, May 9, 2009. The event took place at Lake Las Vegas in Las Vegas, Nevada, and had more than 820 finishers ranging in age from 14 to 67 years old and in fitness level from beginner to elite.
The top five results are listed below:
Olympic Distance Triathlon Results (1.5K Swim – 40K Bike – 10K Run)
1. Jennifer Melville, 40, Park City, UT 2:13:03
2. Judyann Cummings, 49, Denver, CO 2:16:21
3. Laura Rosenthal, 31, Denver, CO 2:19:20
4. Leslie Myers, 41, Las Vegas, NV 2:22:42
5. Anna Shuffler, 35, Kingman, AZ 2:23:14
Sprint Distance Triathlon Results (800-Meter Swim – 16K Bike – 5K Run)
1. Aja James, 49, Cedar City, UT – 1:14:25
2. Kimberly Jefferson, 45, Henderson, NV – 1:16:22
3. Michele Oehler, 46, Henderson, NV 1:18:55
4. Siobhan Snyder, 45, Henderson, NV 1:20:17
5. Melissa Shepperd, 39, Mission Viejo, CA 1:20:24
The Aflac Iron Girl event experience provides women with a competitive platform and amenities such as: a post-race Breakfast Café, performance shirts sized for women, professional timing, personalized race bibs, custom finisher medals and awards, post-race giveaways and reusable athlete goodie bags, part of Iron Girl’s “Green” initiative. All participants in the 2009 series also receive a commemorative Aflac Iron Girl plush duck.
Donations from Aflac Iron Girl event participants and a percentage of proceeds from online merchandise sales on IronGirl.com will go to designated hospitals within the Children’s Oncology Group. The Children’s Oncology Group is the world’s largest pediatric cancer research network consisting of more than 5,000 members located in leading children’s hospitals, university hospitals and cancer centers across the nation.