Video: Key Skills You Need to Become a Successful Open-Water Swimmer
We guide you through some of the key skills you need to take your open-water swimming to the next level—no extra fitness required!
For access to all of our training, gear, and race coverage, plus exclusive training plans, FinisherPix photos, event discounts, and GPS apps, sign up for Outside+.
In the second of our three-part open-water swimming video series, we guide you through some of the key skills you need to learn, master, and hone in order to take your swimming to the next level. They don’t require no extra fitness, but they do involve practice, much of which can be done in the pool and then transferred to the open water. These skills include: sighting, drafting, pack swimming, pace lining, and race takeout speed.
Thanks to Justin Metzler and Will Greig for their participation in this open-water video series.
- Video: New to Open-Water Swimming? Here’s Your Crash Course
- Video: These Advanced Skills Will Take Your Open-Water Swimming to the Next Level
- A Complete Guide to Triathlon Swimming
- A Beginner’s Guide for Learning How to Swim for Triathlon
- How to (Finally) Become a Faster Swimmer
- A 4-Week Training Plan to Help You Swim Better and Faster