These 2,000–2,500-yard sets are designed to improve the swim at your next half-Ironman. Each set replicates the speed changes, distance and other factors that you may face in the 1.2-mile swim. Add one set to your quality swim session each week. Record your times and paces to track your progress.
Warm up and cool down sufficiently on your own.
Want to transform your triathlon knowledge, training, and performance? Check out 10 Weeks to Your Best 70.3—a complete training program led by top endurance coach Jim Vance—free with Outside+ membership!
– 5×100 fast with 10 sec rest
– 3×500 as 250 smooth/250 strong with 30 sec rest
– 4×50 pull with ankle band only (no paddles) with 15 sec rest
– 400 sprinting every fourth 25, no walls with 20 sec rest
– 4×400 pull descend time from 1–4 with 20 sec rest
Do 8x each, in order:
– 50 kick fast with 10 sec rest
– 100 swim strong, no walls with 10 sec rest
– 150 swim smooth, mid-race effort with 30 sec rest
– 6×50 swim as 25 fast/25 easy with 10 sec rest
– 6×100 pull as 50 fast/50 easy with 15 sec rest
– 6×200 swim as 25 Tarzan Drill*/75 swim x2 with 30 sec rest
*Swim with your head above the water the whole 25.
Training for a 70.3 this year? This training plan designed to help you break the six-hour mark.