For access to all of our training, gear, and race coverage, plus exclusive training plans, FinisherPix photos, event discounts, and GPS apps, sign up for Outside+.
We posed the following question to readers on the Inside Triathlon facebook page, “What’s the best training advice you’ve received?” Here are a few responses to help you feel motivated and inspired.
• Don’t wait until you think you are perfectly trained. Sign up, show up and have fun.
• Train smarter, race harder.
• Never out ride your run.
• Smooth is fast….fast is smooth!
• If you feel you are in control, you are not going fast enough.
• No one ever wins the race in the water. Relax and swim YOUR race!
• The water is meant to slow you down. Just relax and think of the water as an incredible masseuse.
• After I withdrew due to injury: It’s just one race.
• For the 140.6 distance: Don’t get caught up in the moment. Keep moving forward and smile. The day is long. Be patient.
• Work on form, speed will follow.
• The better you recover the more you gain!
• First you learn to train, then you learn to race, eventually with time and effort, you’ll learn to win!
• Follow a plan and invest your time to learn from others!
• Rest is your friend
• A healthy athlete beats an injured athlete anytime!
• When you feel like quitting… dig deeper.
• Get a coach! It isn’t too expensive and is worth every penny!
• Sleep is NOT over-rated