For access to all of our training, gear, and race coverage, plus exclusive training plans, FinisherPix photos, event discounts, and GPS apps, sign up for Outside+.
The fastest moment in the pool is when you push off the wall. Put your body in a streamline position to take advantage of this free speed. Here are six steps to a streamline push-off:
- Put one hand on top of the other and hook your thumb over to keep them secure.
- Face the opposite side of the pool, tuck your chin to your chest and squeeze your ears with your biceps.
- Plant your feet on the wall, hip-distance apart, with a slight bend in your knees, and three feet below the surface of the water.
- Allow your upper body to drop under the water.
- Push off in a straight line toward the other side of the pool.
- When you start to slow down, flutter kick and start to take your first stroke.