Swordfish Skewers With Cilantro-Lemon Oil Recipe
Homemade infused olive oil is the star of this recipe.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Homemade infused olive oil is the star of this recipe. Easy to make and versatile in use, it creates rich flavor on these swordfish and veggie skewers. Try it on chicken and veggies for the grill, roasted potatoes, breads and pizzas, or to make a flavorful salad dressing.
1 ½ pounds swordfish
12 cherry tomatoes
1 large zucchini
1 large yellow squash
1 yellow bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
½ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 head garlic
1 large glass jar with lid
*Use up extra veggies, already on hand or substitute any preferred veggies
RELATED: Easy Ways To Prepare Swordfish
1. Cut the head of garlic in half, width wise, with the skin on.
2. Cut the lemon into quarters.
3. Pour the olive oil into a pot over medium heat. Add the garlic, lemon and cilantro to the pot and cover. Heat the oil until it is almost at a simmer, keeping a close eye on the oil, as you don’t want it to heat over a simmer.
4. Turn the heat off and let sit covered for 30 minutes. Once the oil has cooled, store it in the glass jar with the garlic, lemon and cilantro remaining in the oil (the flavors will continue to infuse).
5. Remove the skin from the edges of the swordfish and cut into 1-inch cubes.
6. Slice the zucchini and yellow squash into 8-12 slices.
7. Remove the seeds from the peppers and cut each pepper into 6 large pieces.
8. Place the swordfish and veggies in a large bowl with the salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, making sure to get bits of cilantro with the oil.
9. Toss the swordfish and veggies with the oil until well coated.
10. Heat the grill to medium-high.
11. Divide the swordfish and veggies onto 4 large skewers, metal skewers preferred.
12. Grill for 6-8 minutes, turn the skewers over, and grill another 6-8 minutes.
More recipes from Jessica Cerra.
Jess Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif. Jess recently launched Harmony Bar, and all natural gluten-and soy free bar designed to tasted like a soft baked cookie. She is an ex-professional XTERRA triathlete and mountain biker, and current elite amateur road cyclist for the SPY GIANT RIDE p/b MRI Endurance team. Follow Jess’ recipes on her “Fit Food by Jess” Facebook page, as well as the “Harmony Bar” Facebook page. Also on twitter @fitfoodbyjess and @harmonybars.