For access to all of our training, gear, and race coverage, plus exclusive training plans, FinisherPix photos, event discounts, and GPS apps, sign up for Outside+.
Start the day off right with these trail mix pancakes packed with nuts, seeds and dried fruit. Full of color and texture, these cakes provide a healthy dose of healthy fat, including Omega 3’s, protein, and carbohydrates to fuel a long training session.
Makes 8 small cakes
1 ½ cups whole-grain pancake mix
1 cup vanilla almond milk
2 egg whites
2 TBSP coconut oil, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ cup raisins
¼ cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped
2 heaping TBSP chopped almonds
2 heaping TBSP sunflower seeds
1 TBSP chia seeds
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites until frothy.
2. Add the almond milk, coconut oil, vanilla and cinnamon and continue to whisk until well combined.
3, Gently whisk in the pancake mix.
4. Stir the raisins, cranberries, almonds, sunflower seeds and chia seeds into the mixture until well combined.
5. Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat. Spray with non-stick cooking spray.
6. Use a 1/3 cup to pour pancake mixture onto griddle or skillet, making small cakes. Cook for about 2-3 minutes on the first side until bubbles appear and the edges start to turn golden. Flip and cook 1-2 minutes on the other side.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif., and the co-founder of Harmony Bar. A former professional XTERRA triathlete, Cerra now races for Twenty16 Women’s Professional Cycling Team.
Get the latest in triathlon training, gear, nutrition and news sent straight to your inbox. Sign up for Triathlete’s newsletter.