Strawberries and peaches are peaking in sweet, juicy flavor right now. This means they require very little added sugar to make this scrumptious dessert, which has enough nutritional value to be served as breakfast too. Try it with a scoop of coconut ice cream and your day will be complete. Did we mention it’s also gluten free?
¾ cup gluten free rolled oats
¾ cup almond flour
¼ cup chopped almonds
¼ cup coconut butter or coconut oil (melted)
3 TBSP coconut sugar (or maple/brown sugar)
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp, each, nutmeg and ground ginger ( or ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice)
4 cups strawberries, quartered
3 small peaches, sliced
¼ cup coconut sugar (or maple/brown sugar)
2 TBSP non-GMO cornstarch
1 TBSP fresh lemon juice
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the oats, almond flour, almonds, coconut butter/oil, coconut sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger until it forms small pea-size crumbles.
3. In a large baking dish (about 9×13 in), gently toss the strawberries, peaches, coconut sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and salt. Spread evenly across the dish.
4. Sprinkle the crumble over the top of the fruit.
5. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until fruit is bubbling and crumble is golden.
6. Let sit for 15-20 minutes before serving.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif., and the co-founder of Harmony Bar. A former professional XTERRA triathlete, Cerra now races for Twenty16 Women’s Professional Cycling Team.