Recipe Of The Week: Steamed Beets
Beets can provide powerful antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and detoxification support for endurance athletes.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Beets can provide powerful antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and detoxification support for endurance athletes. Steaming a large batch of beets ahead of time is a great way to have them on hand to incorporate into salads, soups and side dishes during your busy week. This cooking method infuses tons of flavor into the beets, and the liquid can also be used for soups, sautés or even sauces.
2 pounds scrubbed beets (if large, cut in half)
1 TBSP olive oil
4 sprigs thyme
2 sprigs rosemary
2 bay leaves
3 cloves garlic
1 small shallot, thinly sliced
½ cup water
½ cup white wine
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
RELATED: The Benefits Of Beets
1. Toss beets with olive oil, salt and pepper in a 9×9 inch baking dish. This recipe can easily be doubled and a larger baking dish can be used.
2. Scatter the thyme, rosemary, bay leaves, garlic and shallots over the beets.
3. Pour the water and wine over the beets and aromatics.
4. Cover tightly with foil and bake at 425 degrees for 60 minutes, or until a knife easily cuts through the beets.
5. Remove from the oven and leave covered for 20 minutes. Gently remove the skins by rubbing with a paper towel. Reserve the liquid for cooking.
6. Let cool completely before storing in the fridge in an airtight container.
RELATED: Healthy Beet Salad Recipe
More recipes from Jessica Cerra.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif., and the co-founder of Harmony Bar. A former professional XTERRA triathlete, Cerra now races for Twenty16 Women’s Professional Cycling Team.
Get the latest in triathlon training, gear, nutrition and news sent straight to your inbox. Sign up for Triathlete’s newsletter.