Simple, refreshing, colorful and creative, what better way to eat your veggies? Pair this salad with basically anything, share at a BBQ, or eat on its own for a light meal.
Makes 2 large or 4 small servings
2 heaping cups shaved Brussels sprouts*
2 yellow/white heirloom carrots
2 burgundy/purple heirloom carrots
4 ounces spinach, thinly sliced
1/3 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
3 TBSP roasted, salted pumpkin seeds
2 TBSP olive oil
2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
2 tsp honey
¼ tsp, each, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
* Most stores sell bags of shaved Brussels sprouts. Alternatively, use whole sprouts by cutting the ends off and slicing thinly at a diagonal. Tear the pieces apart by hand.
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, sea salt and cracked pepper.
2. Add the shaved Brussels sprouts and toss with the dressing.
3. Thoroughly wash and scrub the carrots. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the carrots down to the core. Add the shavings to the bowl with the sprouts and toss to combine. Let sit for 10 minutes.
4. Toss in the spinach, basil and pumpkin seeds. Using a fork or thongs, make sure all the ingredients are well distributed and coated with the dressing before serving. Optional to sprinkle with your favorite cheese (try goat cheese or feta).
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif., and the co-founder of Harmony Bar. A former professional XTERRA triathlete, Cerra now races for Twenty16 Women’s Professional Cycling Team.