The final days of summer are near, but summer fruits are still lusciously ripe. Try this juicy, sweet melon and peach salad, counterbalanced with salty prosciutto and crisp basil. Use this side dish to add a little nutrition to that Labor Day barbecue!
10 large scoops cantaloupe (about ½ melon)
10 large scoops honeydew (about ½ melon)
1 large peach, cut into ½ inch pieces
6 slices cucumber (about ½ inch thick), cut in half
8 slices prosciutto
24 small basil leaves
sea salt and fresh-cracked pepper
*Makes two of the plates shown in the picture, which can also be combined on a large platter, or even doubled for a large crowd.
1. Arrange the melon scoops, peach pieces, and cucumber on two plates or a large platter.
2. Tear the prosciutto slices in half, lengthwise, and roll the halves into a rose shape.
3. Arrange the prosciutto throughout the fruit and cucumber.
4. Roll the basil leaves into a rose shape, and arrange throughout all of the ingredients.
5. Drizzle with olive oil, red-wine vinegar and sprinkle with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif., and the co-founder of JoJe Bar. A former professional XTERRA triathlete, Cerra now races for Twenty16 Women’s Professional Cycling Team.