For access to all of our training, gear, and race coverage, plus exclusive training plans, FinisherPix photos, event discounts, and GPS apps, sign up for Outside+.
Refuel after a hard training session with this garlicy kale scramble and avocado salad over multigrain toast. The secret to this recipe is the marinated kale, which stays fresh in the fridge for 2-3 days. Keep a batch around for this scramble, or to add to wraps, salads and side dishes and get your daily dose of powerful antioxidant and detoxification Vitamins A, C and K.
Makes 4 servings, plus extra marinated kale
6 cups roughly chopped kale
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP champagne vinegar
2 TBSP low-fat milk
2/3 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 large avocado, diced
¼ cup freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
4 pieces hearty, multigrain bread
sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, for seasoning
1. To make the marinated kale, toss the kale, garlic, olive oil and champagne vinegar together in a sealable plastic container. Season with salt and pepper. Let marinate for at least 20 minutes and up to 3 days in the fridge.
2. To make the scramble, whisk together the eggs and milk, seasoned with salt and pepper, in a bowl.
3. Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat, prepared with non-stick cooking spray. Scramble the eggs with 2 cups of the marinated kale, just until the eggs are softened.
4. In a small bowl, toss together the avocado, cherry tomatoes and Parmesan, seasoned with a small amount of salt and pepper.
5. Lightly toast the multigrain bread. Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil, if desired.
6. Serve the kale scramble over the multigrain toast with the avocado salad scattered on top.
7. Store the remaining marinated kale in the fridge.
Jess Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif. Jess recently launched Harmony Bar, and all natural gluten-and soy free bar designed to tasted like a soft baked cookie. She is an ex-professional XTERRA triathlete and mountain biker, and current elite amateur road cyclist for the SPY GIANT RIDE p/b MRI Endurance team. Follow Jess’ recipes on her “Fit Food by Jess” Facebook page, as well as the “Harmony Bar” Facebook page. Also on twitter @fitfoodbyjess and @harmonybars.
Get the latest in triathlon training, gear, nutrition and news sent straight to your inbox. Sign up for Triathlete’s newsletter.