Recipe Of The Week: Fennel & Citrus Packets
This filling and nutritious meal will help you fly through your next training session.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Hunting for an easy, fresh, low calorie dish after all the holiday indulgence? These fennel and citrus packets are the solution and can be customized by adding more veggies or fish of choice. Serve up with some steamed quinoa or sweet potato for a filling and nutritious meal that will help you fly through your next training session.
20 ounces salmon, skin removed*
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
1 fennel bulb and fronds, core removed and sliced
1 shallot, finely sliced
2 oranges, sliced
2 lemons sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
*Any fish or scallops can be used in place of salmon, or try using baked tofu (also pictured).
RELATED – Recipe Of The Week: Winter Salad
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Lay 4 large pieces of foil (or parchment packets) on a large cutting board.
2. Divide the orange slices onto the foil pieces, laying flat.
3. Cut the salmon into 4 equal pieces and place on top of orange slices.
4. Toss the carrot, fennel, and shallot with the olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Scatter over the salmon.
5. Top with lemon slices.
6. Place packets on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until salmon (or other fish) is just underdone. Same baking time can be used for tofu.
RELATED – TriathlEats: Grilled Chicken, Fennel Salad And Tabouleh
More recipes from Jessica Cerra.
Jess Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif. Jess recently launched Harmony Bar, and all natural gluten-and soy free bar designed to tasted like a soft baked cookie. She is an ex-professional XTERRA triathlete and mountain biker, and current elite amateur road cyclist for the SPY GIANT RIDE p/b MRI Endurance team. Follow Jess’ recipes on her “Fit Food by Jess” Facebook page, as well as the “Harmony Bar” Facebook page. Also on twitter @fitfoodbyjess and @harmonybars.
Get the latest in triathlon training, gear, nutrition and news sent straight to your inbox. Sign up for Triathlete’s newsletter.