Here’s a great way to use a rotisserie chicken to make a flavorful meal in less than 30 minutes. Customize the dish by adding the extra veggies from your CSA box or produce drawer and serve over rice, quinoa, or potatoes.
1 rotisserie chicken, all meat removed and roughly chopped
1 tablespoon canola or grape seed oil
2 large carrots, diced
¼ cup celery or fennel, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
1 heaping tablespoon yellow curry powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
1 can diced tomatoes
½ cup dates, pits removed and finely chopped
1 cup dry white wine (Chardonnay works well)
¼ cup toasted slivered almonds
2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
1. In a large pot or Dutch/French oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the carrots, fennel or celery, and onion and sauté for 5 minutes until golden and softened.
2. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for one minute until fragrant.
3. Stir in the curry powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg and sauté another minute.
4. Add the chicken to the pot and toss until coated with the garlic, ginger and spices.
5. Add the tomatoes, dates, and white wine and stir to combine, breaking up the dates with a wooden spoon.
6. Cover and let cook on medium-low for 15 minutes.
7. Sprinkle the almonds and cilantro over the top before serving.
Jess Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif. Jess recently launched Harmony Bar, and all natural gluten-and soy free bar designed to tasted like a soft baked cookie. She is an ex-professional XTERRA triathlete and mountain biker, and current elite amateur road cyclist for the SPY GIANT RIDE p/b MRI Endurance team. Follow Jess’ recipes on her “Fit Food by Jess” Facebook page, as well as the “Harmony Bar” Facebook page. Also on twitter @fitfoodbyjess and @harmonybars.