For access to all of our training, gear, and race coverage, plus exclusive training plans, FinisherPix photos, event discounts, and GPS apps, sign up for Outside+.
The traditional yogurt parfait gets a makeover with super food chia seeds in this make-ahead breakfast recipe. Perfect for when you need a grab-and-go breakfast for a post-early morning training session, but don’t want to sacrifice nutrition. Chia seeds are a great source of Omega 3’s, but are easier on the tummy than flax seeds because they don’t need to be ground. They also help hydrate and reduce hunger and food cravings, by keeping you feeling full.
Makes 4 servings
1 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
1 cup unsweetened, vanilla almond milk
2 tablespoons agave or pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¼ cup chia seeds
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
2 kiwis, peeled and diced
1 large peach, pitted and diced
1 cup fresh berries
2 tablespoons toasted almonds, walnuts, or pecans
1. In a large bowl whisk together the yogurt, almond milk, agave or maple syrup, vanilla, chia seeds and salt. Let sit for 30 minutes and then whisk again to evenly distribute the chia seeds.
2. Cover and let sit in the fridge overnight.
3. The next day, pour the mixture into four bowls or to-go containers.
4. In a small bowl mix the kiwis, peaches, and berries with the toasted nuts. Pour the fruit and nut mixture over the 4 containers of the chia seed mixture.
5. Serve immediately or cover and keep in the fridge for two to three days.
Jess Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif. Jess recently launched Harmony Bar, and all natural gluten-and soy free bar designed to tasted like a soft baked cookie. She is an ex-professional XTERRA triathlete and mountain biker, and current elite amateur road cyclist for the SPY GIANT RIDE p/b MRI Endurance team. Follow Jess’ recipes on her “Fit Food by Jess” Facebook page, as well as the “Harmony Bar” Facebook page. Also on twitter @fitfoodbyjess and @harmonybars.