Use rotisserie chicken to make this quick salad, which is loaded with nutrient dense carbohydrates, veggies and flavor.
Makes 4 servings
8-10 heaping cups mixed greens, romaine, or baby spinach
¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and chopped
2 cups yams or sweet potatoes, chopped
1 1/3 cup corn*
1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1 red pepper, chopped
1 avocado, sliced
¾ cup BBQ sauce
¼ cup balsamic vinaigrette
*Try grilling 2-3 cobs corn for extra flavor
1. In a bowl, toss the rotisserie chicken with ½ cup of the BBQ sauce.
2. In another small bowl, whisk together the remaining ¼ cup BBQ sauce with the balsamic vinaigrette, and reserve this dressing.
3. Use a large platter, or four dinner plates/bowls to arrange the salad.
4. Toss the mixed greens and cilantro with a conservative amount of the dressing and place on the platter or plates/bowls.
5. Arrange the remaining ingredients on top of the greens. If making individual plates, divide the greens into four portions. Scatter ½ cup chicken, ½ cup yams, 1/3 cup corn, ¼ cup black beans, and ¼ (each) of the diced red pepper and avocado, over each portion of the greens.
6. Drizzle leftover dressing over the top of the salad if desired.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif., and the co-founder of Harmony Bar. A former professional XTERRA triathlete, Cerra now races for Twenty16 Women’s Professional Cycling Team.
Get the latest in triathlon training, gear, nutrition and news sent straight to your inbox. Sign up for Triathlete’s newsletter.