For access to all of our training, gear, and race coverage, plus exclusive training plans, FinisherPix photos, event discounts, and GPS apps, sign up for Outside+.
Whether you are just returning home from Kona and need a meal that reminds you of island life, or simply want a recipe idea that is fresh and easy to make, these Ahi stacks will do the trick.
Makes 4 servings
1 pound sashimi grade ahi
1 large mango
2 small avocados
½ red bell pepper, finely diced
¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon Serrano pepper (seeds removed), minced
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 English Cucumber
1. Cut the ahi into small (1/4 inch) size cubes, and toss with the orange and lemon zest in a bowl.
2. Cut the mango open and score the inside into equal size (as the ahi) cubes. Use a spoon to remove into bowl.
3. Cut the avocado open and do the same as the mango.
4. Add the red pepper, cilantro, Serrano pepper, orange juice and salt to the bowl and toss gently to combine.
5. Cut the cucumber at a diagonal. You will need 4 to 5 pieces per plate in a flat star pattern.
6. Using a ring mold* make the stacks by placing ¼ of the ahi into the mold, then topped with ¼ of the mango avocado mixture.
7. Repeat this process on the other 3 plates and serve with extra cucumber slices, beet chips, sweet potato chips or stone ground corn chips.
*If you don’t have a ring mold cut both ends of a can and clean out the inside. You will use this to make the stacks. A smaller can will make a higher stack and a larger can will make a lower/wider stack.
Jess Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif. Jess recently launched Harmony Bar, and all natural gluten-and soy free bar designed to tasted like a soft baked cookie. She is an ex-professional XTERRA triathlete and mountain biker, and current elite amateur road cyclist for the SPY GIANT RIDE p/b MRI Endurance team. Follow Jess’ recipes on her “Fit Food by Jess” Facebook page, as well as the “Harmony Bar” Facebook page. Also on twitter @fitfoodbyjess and @harmonybars.