Recipe: Panzanella Salad With Grilled Multigrain Croutons
This salad is substantial enough for a meal or perfect for a hearty side dish.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Loaded with veggies, protein and fiber rich garbanzo beans, fresh mozzarella and chunks of multigrain croutons, this salad is substantial enough for a meal or perfect for a hearty side dish.
Makes 4 large servings (large salad bowl)
3 thick slices multigrain bread*
1 ½ cups garbanzo beans
1 ½ cups small mozzarella balls, quartered
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
½ English or 2 Persian cucumbers, finely diced
1/3 cup Kalamata olives, halved
¼ cup large capers, rinsed
2 shallots or ¼ red onion, finely sliced
6 cups arugula
4 TBSP olive oil
2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
2 TBSP flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp freshly cracked pepper
*Recommend to use an artisan type loaf that is not pre-cut
RELATED RECIPES: 10 Salads For Summer
1. Heat grill or grill-pan to medium high. Brush both sides of the bread with 2 TBSP olive oil and sprinkle with ¼ tsp (each) salt and pepper. Grill on both sides, about 2-3 minutes, until toasty and golden.
2. Remove bread from pan, let cool, then slice into ½ inch croutons. Alternatively, the bread can be diced, tossed with the same amount of olive oil, salt and pepper, and toasted on a baking sheet for 7-8 minutes at 375 degrees.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 TBSP olive oil, balsamic vinegar, parsley and remaining ¼ tsp (each) salt and pepper.
4. Toss in the garbanzo beans, mozzarella, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, caper and shallot or onion and let marinate for 20-30 minutes.
5. Finally, add the arugula and croutons and toss until well combined. Serve immediately.
More recipes from Jessica Cerra.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif., and the co-founder of Harmony Bar. A former professional XTERRA triathlete, Cerra now races for Twenty16 Women’s Professional Cycling Team.