For access to all of our training, gear, and race coverage, plus exclusive training plans, FinisherPix photos, event discounts, and GPS apps, sign up for Outside+.
Makes 1 large salad, adjust to make multiple portions
2 cups kale, Brussels sprouts salad mix*
1 cup spinach
½ cup cooked farro
½ cup shredded chicken (cooked breast or rotisserie)
1/3 cup broccoli florets, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 radish chopped
2 mini peppers
½ small avocado, sliced
3 large slices sweet potato
salt and pepper
*Find pre-made kale & shaved Brussels sprouts salad bags in most grocery stores
1. In a salad bowl toss the kale mix and spinach with a small drizzle of olive oil and balsamic (or your favorite salad dressing).
2. Heat a pan over medium high heat. Toss the sweet potato slices with olive oil, salt and pepper. Pan sear 2 minutes per side until golden. Cover and let cook through on medium heat, another 2-3 minutes per side.
3. Toss the chopped broccoli, carrot and radish together.
4. Sprinkle the farro over the kale and spinach in the bowl.
5. Arrange the avocado, sweet potatoes, chicken, chopped veggies and mini peppers over the salad. Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil and balsamic vinegar (or your favorite salad dressing), serve and enjoy!
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif., and the co-founder of Harmony Bar. A former professional XTERRA triathlete, Cerra now races for Twenty16 Women’s Professional Cycling Team.