Recipe Of The Week: Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal Parfaits
This crisp, and tangy fruit is popular in pies and cobblers, but this recipe shows a creative way to jazz up your oatmeal.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Now is the time to take advantage of rhubarb season. This crisp, and tangy fruit is popular in pies and cobblers, but this recipe shows a creative way to jazz up your oatmeal. Rhubarb has long been used as a digestive aid, due to healthy amounts of fiber, and is also full of Vitamin K, which promotes healing and bone health.
8 large rhubarb stalks, diced
20 large strawberries, sliced
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 TBSP coconut oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
¼ tsp cardamom (cinnamon also works)
¼ tsp se salt
2 cups whole oats
3 cups vanilla almond milk
1 cup high-quality ricotta cheese
2 TBSP coconut or maple sugar (maple syrup or brown sugar also works)
¼ tsp salt
RELATED RECIPE: Chia Seed Parfait
1. Put all of the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat.
2. Bring to a simmer and let cook for about 8-10 minutes (until the rhubarb starts to soften), stirring consistently.
3. Remove from heat and let rest while preparing the oatmeal.
1. Place all of the ingredients in a pot over medium heat.
2. Bring to a simmer, and let cook for 5 minutes, until the mixture starts to thicken.
3. Make 4 parfaits by layering the oatmeal and strawberry-rhubarb compote.
RELATED RECIPE: Chia Coconut Oatmeal
More recipes from Jessica Cerra
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif., and the co-founder of Harmony Bar. A former professional XTERRA triathlete, Cerra now races for Twenty16 Women’s Professional Cycling Team.