Have a snack-tooth? Crunchy pre-cut veggies and robust roasted veggie dip are perfect for satisfying that craving. Plus, it keeps you away from empty calorie snacks and fills you up with nutrient and vitamin dense servings of veggies.
Bonus: This dip is great in sandwiches and wraps, on chicken, steak and seafood, scrambled in eggs, mixed in pasta, rice or potatoes, or tossed in salad dressing.
1 large eggplant, diced
2 red bell peppers, diced
1 small red onion, diced
4 cloves garlic
4 TBSP olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp fresh cracked pepper
1 heaping TBSP tomato paste
Suggested Veggies, As Pictured
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1 cup baby carrots
1 cup sugar snap peas
1 cup radishes, sliced
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare two large, rimmed baking sheets with foil and non-stick cooking spray.
2. Toss the eggplant and half of the red onion with 3 TBSP olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/4 cup pepper on one sheet.
3. Toss the red pepper, the other half of the onion, and the garlic with the other TBSP of olive oil, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper on the second sheet.
4. Place the sheets in the oven and roast for 30-35 minutes, tossing once, until the veggies start to crisp around the edges.
5. Let cool for 10 minutes, place in a food processor with the tomato paste, and puree to desired consistency.
6. Serve with fresh chopped veggies, or with warm roasted veggies.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif., and the co-founder of Harmony Bar. A former professional XTERRA triathlete, Cerra now races for Twenty16 Women’s Professional Cycling Team.