Recipe Of The Week: Quinoa Tabouleh With Lamb Kebabs
Lamb can seem intimidating, but this recipe will eliminate your fears.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Lamb can seem intimidating, but this recipe will eliminate your fears. The Greek yogurt penetrates the meat making it moist and flavorful without a lot of fuss. Tabouleh, loaded with bright flavors of mint and basil, is the perfect compliment to the warm lamb. Kick the New Year off with these fresh flavors!
Makes 4 servings
2 cups cooked quinoa (multicolored recommended)
2 Persian cucumbers, cleaned, ends removed and diced
2 bell peppers, stem/seeds removed and diced (red and yellow used in this recipe)
1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
¼ cup fresh mint, finely chopped
¼ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
Juice of 2 lemons
Juice of 1 orange
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp agave
½ tsp salt
4 large skewers (if using bamboo, soak for 15 minutes before grilling)
1 ½ pounds top round lamb or lamb leg, fat trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
½ cup non-fat Greek yogurt
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
Juice of two lemons
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp coriander
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1. Prepare the marinade for the lamb first by whisking all of the “Lamb Kebab” ingredients, except for the lamb and skewers, together in a large Tupperware.
2. Add the lamb and stir to coat with the marinade. Let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature or for up to 2 days in the fridge.
3. Heat the grill to medium high. Divide the lamb between the 4 skewers.
4. Grill for about 8 minutes turning every 2 minutes for medium rare (crusty brown outside and pink inside). Alternatively, the lamb can be cooked under the broiler.
5. To prepare tabouleh, whisk together the lemon and orange juice, olive oil, agave, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
6. Add the cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, mint and basil and stir until coated with the citrus mixture.
7. Add the quinoa and stir until combined.
More recipes from Jessica Cerra.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif. She is also a professional Xterra triathlete and mountain biker. Follow Jess’ recipes on her “Fit Food by Jess” Facebook page.