For access to all of our training, gear, and race coverage, plus exclusive training plans, FinisherPix photos, event discounts, and GPS apps, sign up for Outside+.
Looking for a nutritious side dish that can be served cold or warm? Curried cauliflower is full of savory spices and a touch of sweetness from currants. Round it out with fresh cilantro to make the perfect dish to go with any meal.
1 head cauliflower florets
2 TBSP olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
½ tsp fresh cracked pepper
1 large shallot, finely diced
1 TBSP canola oil
1 TBSP fresh minced ginger
1 tsp fresh minced garlic
2 TBSP yellow curry powder
¼ cup light coconut milk
3 TBSP currants
2 TBSP fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Optional: chopped cashews
1. Heat oven 450 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil and coat with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Spread cauliflower florets onto the baking sheet and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.
3. Roast for 20 minutes, tossing two times until florets start to turn golden, but keep some texture. Remove from oven and let rest.
4. In a small saucepan, heat canola oil over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté 5 minutes until golden. Add ginger and garlic, sauté 30 seconds until fragrant. Add curry powder, cook 30-60 seconds longer until fragrant.
5. Whisk in the coconut milk and let simmer for 60 seconds.
6. Transfer the cauliflower to bowl and pour curry mixture over the top. Toss until the cauliflower is well coated. Let marinate for 30 minutes, or up to overnight in the fridge.
7. Toss with currants, cilantro, and optional cashews before serving.
Note: Serve chilled or warm in the microwave, over the stove or by placing back onto a prepared baking sheet in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif., and the co-founder of Harmony Bar. A former professional XTERRA triathlete, Cerra now races for Twenty16 Women’s Professional Cycling Team.