Recipe Of The Week: Citrus, Pomegranate And Avocado Salad
Popping with color and flavor, this salad is a bright and refreshing meal on a warm summer evening.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Popping with color and flavor, this salad is a bright and refreshing meal on a warm summer evening. The sweet and spicy orange grilled chicken recipe is the perfect pairing.
Citrus, Pomegranate And Avocado Salad
6 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
2 ruby red grapefruit
1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
2 Tbsp pomegranate juice
1 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1) In a small bowl whisk together pomegranate juice, lemon, olive oil and salt.
2) In a large bowl toss the lettuce conservatively with the dressing.
3) Prepare the grapefruit and oranges by removing the skin and pith with a sharp knife. Then slice parallel to the membrane to cut out segments. Toss the segments over the lettuce.
4) Cut the avocado in half, removing the pit. With the skin on, score the avocado into small cubes, without cutting through the skin. Scoop out the cubes and toss over the citrus fruit.
5) Finally, sprinkle the pomegranate seeds over the top of the salad.
Sweet And Spicy Orange Grilled Chicken
2 large bone-in chicken breasts, skin on
2 Tbsp agave
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 Tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1) Zest both oranges into a large bowl. Cut the oranges half and squeeze juice of both into the same bowl.
2) Whisk agave, olive oil, chili powder and cayenne into the orange zest and juice.
3) Add chicken breast to the bowl and massage with the marinade. Make sure to rub marinade under the skin of the chicken.
4) Let chicken marinate for 30 minutes, up to overnight.
5) Heat grill to medium high. Grill chicken skin side down first for 20 minutes. Flip and grill 15-20 minutes on other side, until internal temperature reaches 185 on a meat thermometer. Remove skin before serving.
More recipes from Jessica Cerra.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif. She is also a professional Xterra triathlete and mountain biker. Follow Jess’ recipes on her “Fit Food by Jess” Facebook page.