Recipe Of The Week: Blueberry Salmon
This salmon recipe looks and tastes gourmet, but is shockingly simple to prepare.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This salmon recipe looks and tastes gourmet, but is shockingly simple to prepare. Lending big health benefits from the salmon, containing essential omega 3-s which help decrease inflammation, and from blueberries, which are potent antioxidants that specifically strengthen the cardiovascular system, this recipe is a win-win. Try serving with Summery Peach Couscous, tossed with baby spinach (as pictured).
4 salmon filets (5-6 oz each), with skin on
½ TBSP olive oil
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp fresh cracked pepper
1 pint blueberries, rinsed
¼ cup red wine (recommend pinot noir)
Juice of one large lemon
Juice of one large orange
1/8 tsp sea salt
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Heat a large oven safe skillet over high heat. Rub salmon with the olive oil and ½ tsp (each) salt and pepper.
3. Place salmon filets, skin side up, in the skillet and sear for one minute. Flip salmon over and place in oven for 5-8 minutes, until salmon is just underdone in the middle (depends on thickness of filets). Remove from oven and place salmon on a plate (the salmon will continue to cook through, this method prevents over cooking).
4. While salmon is cooking, place another skillet over medium heat. Add the blueberries, wine, lemon, orange and 1/8 tsp salt to the skillet and let cook down, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has absorbed and the mixture is slightly thick.
5. Spoon an equal amount of blueberry sauce over each of the salmon filets before serving.
RELATED: Four Ways To Use … Peaches
More recipes from Jessica Cerra.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif., and the co-founder of Harmony Bar. A former professional XTERRA triathlete, Cerra now races for Twenty16 Women’s Professional Cycling Team.