The name says it all. This treat is moist and dense, with each bite filled with juicy, tart apples, crunchy rich walnuts and a burst of spice. Greek yogurt and avocado are used to replace the typical unhealthy fats used in baking and add protein and fiber to the tart. Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt, fresh apple slices and a sprinkle of walnuts for a satisfying breakfast, dessert or snack.
1 ½ cups whole-wheat pastry or white-whole wheat flour
½ cup quick cooking oats
½ cup almond meal
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp nutmeg
2 apples, finely diced
½ cup chopped walnuts
2/3 cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
½ large or 1 small avocado
¼ cup honey
¼ pure maple syrup
2 TBSP canola oil
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a tart pan or pie dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, almond meal, baking powder/soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
3. Toss the apples and walnuts into the flour mixture until well coated. This prevents the apples and walnuts from sinking to the bottom of the tart.
4. In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to blend together the rest of the ingredients.
5. Make a well in the flour mixture and pour the wet ingredients in. Using a spatula, gently fold the wet ingredients into the flour mixture.
6. Spread evenly into the tart pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes until the tart is golden, but will still be slightly “sticky” on the inside. Let cool 15 minutes before serving. Store in the fridge.
Jessica Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif., and the co-founder of Harmony Bar. A former professional XTERRA triathlete, Cerra now races for Twenty16 Women’s Professional Cycling Team.