Try this healthier version of a classic breakfast favorite, easily made in one pan. Topped with a colorful fruit salad, it’s the perfect way to start your day.
8 cups whole grain French bread (or similar), cut into 1-inch cubes
8 large eggs
1 ½ cups 2% milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 Hawaii papayas, diced
1 large mango, diced
2 bananas, sliced
1 cups strawberries, sliced
1-2 cups blackberries, blueberries, raspberries or other berries
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a 9×13 inch-baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Lay bread evening into the dish.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
4. Pour over the bread, pushing the mixture into the bread with a spoon. Let sit for 15 minutes to absorb.
5. Bake for 25 minutes. Lower the heat to 375 degrees and bake 15-20 minutes longer until the top is golden.
6. Mix all the fruit together in a large bowl. Serve over the top of the bread pudding.