For access to all of our training, gear, and race coverage, plus exclusive training plans, FinisherPix photos, event discounts, and GPS apps, sign up for Outside+.
Swedish triathlete and super-biker Bjorn Andersson gave us a recipe for one of his home country’s most famous dishes. For these meatballs, he includes a recipe for a sweet-and-sour sauce combining chili sauce and cranberry sauce, and he suggests substituting ground turkey for those who prefer to eat white meat.
• 2 lbs. lean ground beef (can use 1/2 beef and 1/2 turkey)
• 1 package Lipton Beefy Onion Soup Mix
• 1 cup flavored bread crumbs
• 3 eggs
• garlic powder, salt & pepper to taste
Mix together meatball ingredients and shape into small meatballs. Place the meatballs in a large baking dish.
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
• 1 bottle Heinz chili sauce
• 1 bottle of water (use chili sauce bottle)
• 1/2-3/4 cup brown sugar
• 1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
• 1/4 cup red wine (optional)
Mix together ingredients for sweet and sour sauce in a saucepan and simmer until well blended.
Pour sweet and sour sauce over meatballs. Bake for 2.5 hours at 350 degrees, turning meatballs every half hour.
Meatballs can be kept warm in a slow cooker or a crockpot.
—Compiled by Ashley Slaney