Try this twist on the classic spinach and feta burger by replacing the spinach with kale and adding some protein with a dose of quinoa. Serve it up in a salad, as a sandwich or even try it with eggs.
Serving Suggestion: serve over greens with a sunny side-up egg and your favorite salsa, as pictured.
- 16 ounce bag frozen kale, defrosted
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 15 ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (chardonnay)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon yellow curry powder or cumin
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan. Add the onion, salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, until golden. Add the garlic and curry powder or cumin and cook another minute until fragrant.
- In a colander, push all of the water out of the kale with a paper towel.
- Add the kale, white beans and wine in the pan and sauté 7-8 minutes until the wine has been fully absorbed.
- Add this mixture to a food processor (or use a mixer) with the quinoa, feta and eggs.
- Pulse for about 10-15 seconds until the mixture starts to bind together, but isn’t completely smooth.
- Form 4-6 patties from the mixture. The patties can be pan seared over medium heat, with a small amount of oil in the pan, for about 3-5 minutes per side. Or, bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.