For access to all of our training, gear, and race coverage, plus exclusive training plans, FinisherPix photos, event discounts, and GPS apps, sign up for Outside+.
As featured in our September issue, treat your crew to a healthy and flavorful tropical chicken dinner.
Honey-Lime-Sriracha Chicken with Grilled Pineapple Salsa
This marinade is tangy, spicy, and sweet, and it creates a flavorful crust on grilled chicken thighs. The dark meat chicken is budget-friendly and is packed with vitamins and minerals—such as iron—with a slightly greater amount of fat than white meat. Smoky grilled pineapple salsa tops it off beautifully.
2 ½ pounds chicken thighs
½ cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
¼ cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
½ cup tequila
4 T honey
4 T sriracha
3 T olive oil
1 jalapeño, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ cup cilantro, roughly chopped
2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
4 sliced pineapple rounds (½ inch thick)
1 large avocado, diced
½ red bell pepper, finely diced
2 T fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Juice and zest of one lime
¼ tsp, each, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
1. In a large bowl, combine all the marinade ingredients except for the chicken.
2. Add the chicken to the bowl, making sure it is submerged in the marinade. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for one-hour, up to overnight.
3. Heat the grill to medium-high. Grill chicken 5 minutes per side. Keep flipping the meat every 3-4 minutes until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
4. Remove from grill onto a platter, and tent with foil. Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
1. Grill pineapple rounds 2 minutes per side until charred grill marks appear. Let cool on a plate.
2. In a bowl, gently combine the rest of the salsa ingredients.
3. Once the pineapple has cooled, remove the cores, dice, and gently combine it with the salsa.
4. Serve alongside the chicken.