For access to all of our training, gear, and race coverage, plus exclusive training plans, FinisherPix photos, event discounts, and GPS apps, sign up for Outside+.
This delicious scramble is easy to whip up for breakfast or for a nutritious post-training meal. Sweet potatoes or yams and seasonal greens add a dose of vitamins, while black beans contribute a helping of fiber. Topped with avocado and fresh cilantro, this scramble is sure to become a favorite.
Makes 4 servings
6 large eggs
6 egg whites
¼ yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cups diced sweet potatoes, or yams, already cooked
3 cups seasonal greens (Swiss chard, kale, spinach etc.)
1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1-2 teaspoons hot sauce, depending on desired spiciness
1/3 cup crumbled queso fresco, or other Mexican cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper
1 large avocado, sliced
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes until golden.
2. Add sweet potatoes, or yams, and greens and sauté another 5 minutes until greens have wilted. Then add the black beans and stir to combine.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites and hot sauce. Add to the pan along with the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Using a spatula, continue to turn the egg and veggie mixture until the eggs have cooked through.
5. Serve with avocado slices and fresh cilantro sprinkled over the top.
Jess Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif. Jess recently launched Harmony Bar, and all natural gluten-and soy free bar designed to tasted like a soft baked cookie. She is an ex-professional XTERRA triathlete and mountain biker, and current elite amateur road cyclist for the SPY GIANT RIDE p/b MRI Endurance team. Follow Jess’ recipes on her “Fit Food by Jess” Facebook page, as well as the “Harmony Bar” Facebook page. Also on twitter @fitfoodbyjess and @harmonybars.