Black Bean And Sweet Potato Scramble Recipe
This delicious scramble is easy to whip up for breakfast or for a nutritious post-training meal.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
This delicious scramble is easy to whip up for breakfast or for a nutritious post-training meal. Sweet potatoes or yams and seasonal greens add a dose of vitamins, while black beans contribute a helping of fiber. Topped with avocado and fresh cilantro, this scramble is sure to become a favorite.
Makes 4 servings
6 large eggs
6 egg whites
¼ yellow onion, finely chopped
2 cups diced sweet potatoes, or yams, already cooked
3 cups seasonal greens (Swiss chard, kale, spinach etc.)
1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
1-2 teaspoons hot sauce, depending on desired spiciness
1/3 cup crumbled queso fresco, or other Mexican cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper
1 large avocado, sliced
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
RELATED: What Are Some Quick Swaps I Can Make To Improve My Diet?
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes until golden.
2. Add sweet potatoes, or yams, and greens and sauté another 5 minutes until greens have wilted. Then add the black beans and stir to combine.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites and hot sauce. Add to the pan along with the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Using a spatula, continue to turn the egg and veggie mixture until the eggs have cooked through.
5. Serve with avocado slices and fresh cilantro sprinkled over the top.
RELATED: Yam, Fresh Corn, Black Bean And Vegetable Salad
More recipes from Jessica Cerra.
Jess Cerra is the owner of Fit Food by Jess, a private chef and catering company in Encinitas, Calif. Jess recently launched Harmony Bar, and all natural gluten-and soy free bar designed to tasted like a soft baked cookie. She is an ex-professional XTERRA triathlete and mountain biker, and current elite amateur road cyclist for the SPY GIANT RIDE p/b MRI Endurance team. Follow Jess’ recipes on her “Fit Food by Jess” Facebook page, as well as the “Harmony Bar” Facebook page. Also on twitter @fitfoodbyjess and @harmonybars.