For access to all of our training, gear, and race coverage, plus exclusive training plans, FinisherPix photos, event discounts, and GPS apps, sign up for Outside+.
Much like cars, cities, and (sadly) our waistlines, everything seems to be getting bigger—transition bags are no exception. Way back when, triathletes used to use…gasp…a daypack or duffel back as a transition bag, but as tri gear like bikes and wetsuits started to get more tri-specific, so too did the bags that hold all of that tri-specific stuff. More stuff means you need more space, and since we all have giant cars to fill with all that stuff, it makes sense that we need to fill that fourth-row void with a bag that’s similarly massive. While there are bigger bags out there (Desoto’s intimidatingly huge transition bag, for instance), the new Helix backpack from BlueSeventy is also extremely cavernous. While not as Type-A focused as some other packs, this is the one for those who like to pile their junk.
Check out our video above for the full unboxing, or scroll down for some quick takeaways.
BlueSeventy Helix Backpack: $150: blueseventy.com
What I Like About The BlueSeventy Helix Backpack
- Lots of space, like open space, not just space for pockets and organization
- A good shape that feels more like a backpacking pack than the squat transition packs some brands have
- A hard-topped section for “crushables”
What Makes Me Worried About The BlueSeventy Helix Backpack
- If you need pockets to help get your mind straight on race day (or when flying out the door to train), you won’t get a ton of help here, with only a little organization in the side pockets.
- Only one spot for a water bottle seems a little short sighted for those who like to bring water for pre-race, and/or load up your hydration when you get to transition on race morning.
- I like whipping everything into my bag all at once, and pockets usually go unused or just slow me down, so I’m happy to have this bag as an option.
- The BlueSeventy Helix Backpack is a great option for those who are a little more…careless…than others. The crushproof top, aero-helmet-specific outer pocket, and big main compartment will help keep you clear of any severe penance for your organizational sins.