Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Put a check next to the statements that apply and total them at the bottom to help solve your wetsuit dilemma.
- The water temperature is below 72 degrees.
- The high air temperature of the day is below 80 degrees.
- I am adapted/acclimated to warm temperatures.
- I have never suffered from heat-related issues in a race.
- I am trying to set a PR in the swim leg.
- I am a lean athlete who gets cold easily.
- I train in my wetsuit more than once a month.
- I am a beginner swimmer or lack confidence in open water.
- The swim is more than 400 meters.
- Jellyfish or other sea creatures are a potential threat.
If your total is…
Pack some BodyGlide, because you should definitely be wearing a wetsuit.
It’s a borderline call. Make a smart decision based on your past experiences.
You are probably part polar bear and don’t need to wear a wetsuit.