For access to all of our training, gear, and race coverage, plus exclusive training plans, FinisherPix photos, event discounts, and GPS apps, sign up for Outside+.
Part eye protection, part tiny coach, these sunglasses make training solo fun.
Sunglasses aren’t just for protection. Oakley’s new Radar Pace specs and their accompanying app for iOS and Android put a coach in your ear while you train. The ecosystem lets you generate a training plan based on a goal, like running a 10K, then the sunglasses connect to other devices like heart rate straps or power meters via Bluetooth to give you real-time data and progress reports during your workouts. Current plans are for running and cycling, though Oakley does have one that’s very tri-specific: a 112-mile time trial. You can also control your phone through the sunglasses to take calls, listen to music or even create text messages. At 56 grams, they’re double the weight of previous Radar versions, but it’s not too noticeable. Bottom line: The training plans may be aimed at pure runners or cyclists, but if they meet your needs, the extra encouragement in your ear is a fun way to stay motivated.
- Voice control lets you ask for workout details. While you’re training, you can say, “OK Radar” to get instant info about your heart rate, speed, power, etc. Radar Pace will also send metrics like speed, distance and time to you periodically, or you can turn off the alerts.
- Listen to music and control your phone via a touchpad near the temples that allows you to adjust the volume, make and receive calls or even send a text via voice command. (We suggest you only use these functions while running.)
- The ear stems are double hinged and come with three different sizes of earbuds for a custom fit. A micro-USB connection attaches the ear stems and charges the sunglasses.
- The Radar Pace comes with two lenses: the Prizm Road lens, which works well in a variety of light conditions, and a clear lens. Two nose pieces allow you to customize the fit. No matter how much you sweat while running or riding, these sunglasses stay in place thanks to Oakley’s special rubber compound.
- The RadarPace app for iOS and Android creates a personalized plan based on your personal info, goals, schedule and experience. Each day has a specific workout for you to follow, or you can select a “free” day to do what you want.